Monday, April 13, 2009

Look Ma, No Hands! A Bike Riding Adventure.

The news of the weekend is that Court finally learned how to ride her bike. I've met with much resistance when I tried to convince her to ride in past. This is one of the few times I've allowed her to win a battle, mostly because I remember the awful crashes that I experienced when trying to learn to balance and ride as a kid. Of course my failed bike riding attempts resulted in several nasty falls, one of which left me and a friend in her bathroom trying to superglue my broken tooth.

Just like Court, when I decided it was time to ride, my dad held the back of my Pink Panther banana-seat bike until he thought I was steady, and he would secretly let go. Every time I looked back I would crash into the door to our basement, but he never lost patience with me, we would back up and start over again.

I eventually learned how to ride very well, and I would spend hours circling the driveway, dreaming that I was competing in the Tour de France. My skills eventually improved to the point that my brother was allowed to ride with me. I think MoJo liked riding with me because he was the little daredevil of the family, and riding with me was, well...just risky.

MoJo and I cruising on "The Pink Panther"


Not that my parents were overly protective, mind you. When you grow up on a farm, there are hundreds of dangers that you're oblivious to, until you have your own children. I can remember riding on the toolbox of the tractor. No, there's only limited danger in riding on an unenclosed tractor while discing a field or cutting corn, but when I think of all the times I slept on the tractor while holding the metal grab-bar beside me - now that's scary. The good news is I survived it all, and I was always rewarded with a chocolate milk or some candy from Kingery's store at the end of the day. (Thanks Daddy, for the countless songs you sang and taking me with you. I loved every minute.)

Okay, so watching Court transform from barely keeping her balance to whizzing through the parking lot made me feel a little poetic. I'm not sure why, or how this haiku popped into my head, but it suddenly came into my thoughts and there was no shaking it. So here it is, in all of its glory:

She bikes rather fast
legs pistoning up and down,
one crash not the last.

I've promised Court that our first road trip will be to the library that is less than a mile from our house. There is very little traffic, and it's a flat ride so it should be nice and safe. Well, safe compared to riding farm equipment.

4 comments:

  1. Another absolutely great story of life, present and past. Congrats to Courtney for learning how to ride a bike this week, what freedom you have earned! Great job to an absolute awesome Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Flat ride" in YOUR town??? Are you sure???
    Thanks for sharing, ma'am, and many congrats to Court! I know what it means to go over the crashes and the fear! ;-)
    (A.W.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that same pink panther bike. It was a christmas gift c. 1982. I got a bike and my older sister got a green go-cart.

    ReplyDelete